Can my husband adopt my children who do not have a listed father?

Asked 4 months ago - Indianapolis, IN

The biological father has not been around for over 4 years, and has never even met my youngest child. There have never been any attempts of DNA/visitation on either end, and I have never received any support payments from him. What steps should I take now, and would he have to sign off for adoption/name change, even though he has never made any attempts to be around? I have found this online, but unsure if it is accurate?

The absent parent has abandoned the child for at least six (6) months prior to the filing of an adoption petition.
The absent parent has failed to contact or support the child for at least one (1) year when the child has been in the custody of another person.
The natural father has failed to establish paternity or has failed to register with the putative father registry.
The absent parent has been declared incompetent or mentally defective
The absent parent has been convicted of murder, manslaughter, rape, incest, neglect, battery, or causing the suicide, and the victim was the child’s sibling.

1. Joseph Robert Delamater

Answered . Yes but you need the help of a family law attorney.

2. Julie R. Glade

Pro

Answered . There are certain fact situations that allow for an adoption without the consent of the biological parent. His lack of contact and support for over a year a two of them, but these situations can be fact sensitive, and he would be entitled to challenge the adoption in court if he acts within the right time frames, and if his paternity is pursued. The adoption statute is very specific and must be followed exactly to make this work. From what you indicated, it sounds like so long as you give good notice, he will not cause you problems but you should be prepared for a challenge just in case. If you give good notice and he fails to appear or contest the adoption, and if you give the court the right information, you should be ok. I have dealt with this sort of fact situation before, and had good results, so its not insurmountable, depending on the specific facts. Get a lawyer, just in case.

3. Dawn M. Boyd

Pro

Answered . Your husband can always petition the juvenile court for a step parent adoption, and the court will consider several factors including the length of time and relationship between your spouse and your child, the involvement of the biological father in the child's life, and the best interests of your child. I would not recommend you take this course of action without assistance of an attorney. There are several statutory requirements that must be met and forms properly filed.