Skip to main content

Can my husband adopt my 3 year old daughter when the father has not been present in her life?

Las Vegas, NV |

My husband is in the military and he wants to adopt m daughter so moving around every 3 years will not get complicated if we have to go over seas. The father of the child has never paid child support and does not see the child. We life in Las Vegas Nv, and the father lives in Gulfport ms. what can be done so my husband can adopt my daughter?

Attorney Answers 2


Just do a petitition for adoption there in Clark County. You will be fine.

Mark as helpful


There is a basic two step approach generally used here in Clark County to help couples such as you with stepparent adoption. The most simple and least costly approach is to contact the paternal father if possible and ask if he is willing to relinquish his rights voluntarily. You can offer him a variety of incentives to do so such as forgiving child support arrearages and reminding him that relinquishing his rights will absolve him of responsibility to make any more payments in the future.

If he is unwilling to relinquish his rights voluntarily, then you must petition the court to terminate his parental rights, which involves proving to the court that it would be in the best interests of the child for them to do so. This requires careful consideration and knowledge of local case law, and I recommend consulting an attorney to help you with that.

Once the father's parental rights are terminated you can file the petition to adopt.

See the link below for more information about terminating parental rights in Nevada.

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics