Can my husband, a doctor, write a prescription for himself using my name without my knowledge or consent?

Aurora, IL |
Filed under: Medical malpractice

Actually, he had his sister, also a doctor, write a prescription for a condition he has in my name. I do not have this condition, and only discovered the prescription had been written when I saw the pills in his drawer in the bathroom. I have documentation of my not having the condition associated with the medication (can do a blood test for it). I also have documentation of the medication being prescribed to me in my prescription history from my pharmacy.

How unfortunate this is! Of course, based upon the information you've provided, your husband's actions are completely improper.

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

It is unethical for a provider to write a prescription for a patient's condition when the condition does not exist and when it is not for that patient.

If you're trying to have him arrested, perhaps the better question is this: Do I want to stay married? Most people who do don't look for ways to toss their spouse in the slammer - just saying.

Think over what you want to do, and their ramifications.

The fact that you are asking these questions in a public forum, as the others have said, begs so many questions I'm not even sure where to aim my response.

First, it is obvious this is fraudulent as well as ethically improper. Second, this involves you so the sooner you report this to the regulating bodies and law enforcement, the sooner you can take a breath.

I suggest contacting a lawyer who handles medical ethical issues so he or she can guide you in how to handle the above.

Then, needless to say, you'll need to look in the mirror and figure out if your husband is someone you trust. I think you'll find the answer rather quickly.

Terrible situation but I wish you well.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL
773-944-9737
Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
Website: www.hofflawyer.com
Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.