Can my HOA try to collect Fees for the last 4 years after not contacting me for that whole time?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lexington Park, MD

I thought my HOA dissolved 4 years ago because they didn't return phone calls or mail. Now they've sent me a collections letter (first communication) saying that I need to pay them 4 years of HOA fees plus late fees. to catch up Can they do this? Where were they for four years?

1. Robinson Sean Rowe

Answered . Do you still own the condo? Does it matter to you if this remains as a lien on your property?

As far as collections, there may be statute of limitations issue. Also, please provide more information on how they are contacting you.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Dmitry David Balannik

Answered . The Statute of Limitations defense may be available in this case. Presuming that you still own the property, you should act quickly in order to avoid a lawsuit that would undoubtedly result in a lien against the property and/or your personal assets.

HOAs and condo associations tend to be very aggressive.

3. Seyed Abbas Kazerounian

1

1

Answered . HOAs are traditionally very aggressive and a lot of the time they violate collection laws. I recommend you contact a consumer attorney in your area immediately as you may have a case not even know it

4. Matthew Michael Loker

Answered . Mr. Kazerounian is correct. In addition, these fees may be outside the statute of limitations. If that is the case, the HOA cannot sue you so any threats to do so are a violation