Skip to main content

Can my girlfriend legally kick me out of the house?

West Palm Beach, FL |

I moved in with my girlfriend into her house, which she bought for her and I to live in. I do not have my name on anything such as the mortgage or utilities but I have paid her "rent" or in other words I have given her money to help cover bills including the mortgage payment, I lost my job which was seasonal and I have been trying to find another job.

She kicked me out and had her father basically escort me off the property, after she had left me high and dry with no ride and I had to walk back to the house over 8 miles away. Can she legally just kick me out considering I have no money to go anywhere else and have no where else to stay?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes. The court will not consider cohabitation as a landlord-tenant relationship. If you're not on the deed you have no right to occupy the property.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at


Yes she can kick you out- you do not own the property and you had no landlord/tenant agreement so you have no rights to possession.

Best of Luck!

Ms. Bolton is licensed to practice law in Florida. She practices in the areas of construction and insurance. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Ms. Bolton strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.



Does she have to give a notice or 30 days or can she just say leave? What if there is a child involved?


As the other answers have said, you have no right to continue to life in your former girlfriend's house. However, she does not have the right to keep any of your personal property. I recommend that you take your belongings and find another place to live

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.


Legally, she can make you leave but she will still be required to engage the courts to do so. As there is no landlord-tenant relationship, her cause of action will be "ejectment" rather than "eviction." Ejectment takes longer and is a circuit court action. In Florida, a person cannot be removed from their place of residence without court order. You may be able to secure assistance from a legal services entity.



Thank you Marva

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer