Can my girlfriend kick me out of her house?

Asked about 3 years ago - Vallejo, CA

We don't have a contract but I've been paying rent. She pays the mortgage. What are my rights in California?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Douglas Whitney Weitzman

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I assume that you are no longer boyfriend, girlfriend, so you now are a tenant, except there may be a problem if you are the only other person living there.

    She might use the lodger rule to ask you to leave in the same period as you pay rent. If you pay her every 30 days, she can ask you to leave after 30 days and she might not have to evict you. She could then call the police and have them remove you.

    But you didn't go in as a lodger, so I believe you are protected as a tenant. I have never had this come up yet in my practice, and the lodger rules are not that old, but it is something to think about. I hope she doesn't know about this law.

    Douglas Weitzman
    Attorney at Law
    Real Estate Broker - 00614072
    310 391-3475

    This is general legal advice intended for informational purposes only and does not create and attorney/client... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You are very likely a tenant and your eviction would be subject to the normal legal process in CA.

    That being said, your agreement to leave when she asks assuming the BF-GF relationship has ended, would make things much easier for you and would reduce the chances that subsequent issues might flare up that would lead to unnecessary trouble downstream.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,707 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,707 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering