Can my friend's parents prevent him from gaining his Green Card and Social Security Card?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbus, GA

My friend is seventeen years old and has moved out of his parents household due to physical abuse. This happened back in November, and he's been house jumping from person to person until he came to me in February. They are refusing to give him any sort of paperwork concerning his Green Card or Social security or even his birth certificate.

They have always given him agreements such as: "If you give us back your military ID, we will return your Green Card" And such, paraphrased. He says he gave his Military ID to the school principal, who then received an envelope from my friend's father. The inside of the envelope contained just a letter stating that the father refuses to return any of my friend's documents so he can get the proper paperwork and actually be allowed to work. What do we do

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Clint Curtis

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your freind can obtain a copy of his Social Security card through the Social Security office. The other information can likely be obtained from the original sources also. If the parents continue to block him he should seek an attorney which can seek to have him declared an emancipated minor and he can then sue for his records. The other method would likely result in less cost and turmoil.

    If he would like to pursue emancipation, he should contact a licensed Georgia family lawyer to explore his options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,387 answers this week

2,760 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,387 answers this week

2,760 attorneys answering