Can my friend's parents prevent him from gaining his Green Card and Social Security Card?

Columbus, GA |

My friend is seventeen years old and has moved out of his parents household due to physical abuse. This happened back in November, and he's been house jumping from person to person until he came to me in February. They are refusing to give him any sort of paperwork concerning his Green Card or Social security or even his birth certificate.

They have always given him agreements such as: "If you give us back your military ID, we will return your Green Card" And such, paraphrased. He says he gave his Military ID to the school principal, who then received an envelope from my friend's father. The inside of the envelope contained just a letter stating that the father refuses to return any of my friend's documents so he can get the proper paperwork and actually be allowed to work. What do we do

Your freind can obtain a copy of his Social Security card through the Social Security office. The other information can likely be obtained from the original sources also. If the parents continue to block him he should seek an attorney which can seek to have him declared an emancipated minor and he can then sue for his records. The other method would likely result in less cost and turmoil.

If he would like to pursue emancipation, he should contact a licensed Georgia family lawyer to explore his options.

What would be the cheapest solution since our family is tight on money right now.

Clint Curtis

Clint Curtis

The cheapest solution is to goto SS and obtain a new card. You might have to go online first to obtain a replacement for your birth certificate.

But wouldn't my friend have to have his Birth Certificate to receive his SS card? And does he need his Birth Certificate to apply for jobs? I know he needs his SS card, but what about his BC?