Skip to main content

Can my Filipino Girlfriend get a fiancee visa in Japan If she lives in Japan and has a permanent Japanese Visa.

Harvest, AL |

I've been asking question and trying to find the best way to Marry My Filipino Girlfriend. Her Situation is as follows . She was born in manila and she is 100% filipino. She was married to a Japanese man and has a Japanese visa(permanent ) They have been divorced for two years and she is living in Japan raising her Daughter. Can we apply for a fiancee visa in Japan. She Said someone told her she is divorced by Japanese law but by filipino law she is still married until she apply s for a annulment through the filipino embassy which is costly(?). I am going there in June and would like to start the process. We are open to either fiancee visa or getting married there and doing the spouse visa. This is tricky situation, Please advise or guide me in the right direction

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Generally, the U.S. Consulates have discretion to adjudicate a case for a citizen of a different country, so you need to call the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo to make sure that they will accept your case.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

  2. I agree with Attorney Kimura

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. Generally, a divorce will be recognized as valid under U.S. immigration law so long as the divorce was valid where it occurred.

    However, you owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics