Can my Filipino Girlfriend get a fiancee visa in Japan If she lives in Japan and has a permanent Japanese Visa.

Asked over 1 year ago - Harvest, AL

I've been asking question and trying to find the best way to Marry My Filipino Girlfriend. Her Situation is as follows . She was born in manila and she is 100% filipino. She was married to a Japanese man and has a Japanese visa(permanent ) They have been divorced for two years and she is living in Japan raising her Daughter. Can we apply for a fiancee visa in Japan. She Said someone told her she is divorced by Japanese law but by filipino law she is still married until she apply s for a annulment through the filipino embassy which is costly(?). I am going there in June and would like to start the process. We are open to either fiancee visa or getting married there and doing the spouse visa. This is tricky situation, Please advise or guide me in the right direction

1. Gen Kimura

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally, the U.S. Consulates have discretion to adjudicate a case for a citizen of a different country, so you need to call the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo to make sure that they will accept your case.

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

3

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Kimura

3. Dean P Murray

2

1

Answered . Generally, a divorce will be recognized as valid under U.S. immigration law so long as the divorce was valid where it occurred.

However, you owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700