Can my federal tax refund be levied?

Asked over 1 year ago - Englewood, NJ

I am having tremendous financial problems due to medical problems. I've looked into filing bankrupcy but because my Mom has a rental property in my name I was told that that's not possible. My main concern is can the government levy my federal refund for my student loans? And if they can do they do it on the sly or will I had to have already known?

1. Joseph A Mullaney III

4

1

Answered . A student loan borrower who is in default on his or her federal student loan may see a tax intercept. The Department of Eduction notifies the IRS and then the IRS will notify the taxpayer. At that time, there are some options to address the tax intercept before it actually become permanent. The IRS will notify the taxpayer of the options/responses available to the federal student loan borrower.

2. Dheeraj Kumar Singhal

5

1

Answered . If you have federal loans that are in default, the government should be able to levy the refund and apply it to your default. However, if the student loans were private, the government wouldn't levy your refund, unless they were under a court order.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, the government can levy your federal tax refund for student loans and this happens more often than you might think. So why are you continuing to overwithhold? Hope this perspective helps!