Can my federal income tax return be withheld for back child support?

Richmond, VA |

I owe a minimal amount of back child suppo
rt and I was wondering if my federal income tax can be withheld

1. Yes, your tax refund can be directly taken if the United States Treasury receives a garnishment request from a child support collection agency. Tax refunds can be intercepted for liabilities relating to child support, federal debts (such as federal student loans) and a few other types of debts.

Please click “thumbs up” if you’ve found this helpful and/or informative.

DISCLAIMER & IRS Circular 230 DISCLOSURE:

The information in this answer is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this communication should be taken as legal advice for any case or situation. Nothing herein is intended as legal advice. You should not rely upon any information as a source of legal advice, and your receipt or viewing of any such information does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and James E. Pratt.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U. S. federal tax advice contained herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purposes of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter herein.

Child support topics