Can my father take away my car if he is a cosigner?

Fresno, CA |

I recently purchased a car last month with my dad as my cosigner. He put the down payment of 2600 and I've already made the first payment. I'm the primary driver and I'm responsible for the payments. My dad wasn't to happy to hear I wanted to move out and won't let me take my car. We're both on the title and after talking to someone at the police station they said that legally neither of us can take the car away from each other. They also said it would be up to the court who takes the car. My dad said because he has more money invested since giving the down payment they'll give the car to him. Is this true? He has two other cars and this is my only means of transportation, will they take that into consideration?

Your dad won't take this to court. He's just using whatever ammunition he can to keep you from moving out. In the unlikely event your dad sues you for possession, you'll need to advise the court of your agreement with your dad. If your agreement with your dad is that you are to possess the car, then the court will enforce that.

2. The purpose of moving out, usually, is to get your freedom and show the WORLD your independence. If you have to rely on your dad to give you $2,600.00 to get a car you are not ready to move out. Take some time, save some money, pay your dad back his $2,600.00 and then, when you are really ready, then move out.

3. I agree with Mr Kaufman - what he says makes perfect sense - if you have all the money invested in the car you will have more rights

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

Car loan topics