Skip to main content

Can my father sue me for property damage to the family home?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am 22 years old and recently moved back in with my parents. My room is located on the third floor and he locked the bathroom on my floor forcing me to go down a one maybe two flights of steps to use the other bathrooms. One night I was feeling ill and didnt think I would make it down to the other bathroom so I tried to pry the door open on my floor so I could use it. As a result I damaged it. Now my parents are getting a divorce and me and my mom have left that residence and he wants to sue me for damage to the door. Can I claim contributory negligence? or anything else?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. This is very silly. Don't wait for him to sue you. Pay for the damage. You have no defense. You will feel better once you put the matter behind you. He will probably feel embarrassed once you tender the check – he may even refuse to accept it.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  2. Yes he can sue you, given the facts it does not sound like there is any cause of action on your part.

    Pay it, be done with it. It only reflects poorly on him.

  3. Yes you can be sued for such property damages you caused.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics