Can my father sue me for property damage to the family home?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am 22 years old and recently moved back in with my parents. My room is located on the third floor and he locked the bathroom on my floor forcing me to go down a one maybe two flights of steps to use the other bathrooms. One night I was feeling ill and didnt think I would make it down to the other bathroom so I tried to pry the door open on my floor so I could use it. As a result I damaged it. Now my parents are getting a divorce and me and my mom have left that residence and he wants to sue me for damage to the door. Can I claim contributory negligence? or anything else?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

2

Answered . This is very silly. Don't wait for him to sue you. Pay for the damage. You have no defense. You will feel better once you put the matter behind you. He will probably feel embarrassed once you tender the check – he may even refuse to accept it.

2. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

2

Answered . Yes he can sue you, given the facts it does not sound like there is any cause of action on your part.

Pay it, be done with it. It only reflects poorly on him.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Yes you can be sued for such property damages you caused.