Can my father get a Medicaid or Medicare?

Asked about 1 year ago - Niceville, FL

My dad has GC through me that means I sponsored him...
He worked in some company for only 6 months then he stopped ( he is thinking to open his own business) ... in this 6 months he paid for SS and for Medicare... he is 63 years old
can he have Medicaid or Medicare? and what kind of lawyer should I ask for that ?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  2. Fernanda Nunes Hottle


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Medicare is only available through SS retirement or SS disability. Also available to legal permanent residents who are 65 or older and have been LPRs for at least 5 years. Although the facts you provided are limited, your dad does not appear to be eligible yet.

    [This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client... more
  3. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may be responsible to reimburse the Government if he uses certain means-tested benefits. Go to to understand your obligations.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,486 answers this week

2,430 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,486 answers this week

2,430 attorneys answering