Can my ex-wife take my children out of the state for vacation without my permission.

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

She has also denied visitation and the children have to sneak to speak with me.

1. Gregory Thomas Buckley

Pro

3

Answered . Does the existing Parenting Plan or Final Judgment have language that requires her to seek your permission to take the children out of state? If not, then she is not required to ask.

However, the issue of her denying visitation and contact with the children is a separate one. If she is violating the existing Parenting Plan, then you should consult with a family law attorney in your area to discuss your options.

2. Carin Manders Constantine

Pro

2

Answered . The answer depends on what your MSA or Parenting Plan says. We would have to see the specific documents in order to answer properly. Every case is unique.

3. Daniel A. Bachert

2

Answered . Unless your Final Order of Dissolution of Marriage prevents her from doing so she is free to travel wherever she would like with the children during her scheduled time with them. As for the remainder of your question it sounds as if a Motion for Contempt may be in order with a request for make up time sharing and an award of attorney's fees and costs as a sanction for her contempt.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bachert, Esq.
    The Bachert Law Firm, P.A.
    330 Clematis Street, Suite 222
    West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
    (561) 653-3951
    Palm-Beach-Divorces.com

4. Sandy Todd Fox

Pro

2

Answered . Whether or not either parent can take the children out of state would be governed by the parenting plan. If the parenting plan is silent, this may be considered a decision which falls within the ambit of shared parental responsibility.

If your ex-wife is denying time-sharing and access, you can file a motion for contempt, enforcement and for make-up time-sharing.