Skip to main content

Can my ex-wife obtain new passports for my daughter without my signature?

Oceanside, CA |

My ex-wife has physical custody, and 50% legal for our kids. They are currently living in Dubai as per our agreement. She has met a new guy there and I am pretty convinced that she will try and renege on our verbal agreement to return to the U.S in August 2011 with the kids in order for my kids to spend more time with me.

My daughter's passport is expiring in May 2011, and I wanted to get our verbal agreement on paper and notarized before signing for a renewal. Can she refuse to sign the agreement and renew the passport alone? Do I have any legal rights?

I do not mind if she stays in Dubai, but I want my kids back in the US by the agreed upon date. If she decided to disappear, which would be the best agency to report to?

Thank you for your great service.

Attorney Answers 1


Is your Order from California? If so and mom "disappears" you would want to contact the DA Child Abduction Unit and a family law attorney ASAP.

In the mean time, I believe she cannot get a passport without your signature, but that is based on my experience in the States. You could contact the agency that would issue the passport and ask them what the rules are.

Good luck!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics