Can my ex stop paying alimony if my boyfriend stays at my house overnight?

Asked 9 months ago - Morristown, NJ

My divorce states that alimony would cease if I cohabitate with a man for 45 consecutive days. This has never happened. We have no joint assets, no joint accounts, and I do not benefit from him financially, not even a penny. He does have another residence. There are no bills in his name at my home and he does not pay any bills. The only deposits in my bank account are those from my employer.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. William J Popovich

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You seem to have answered your own question. Not sure what your doubts are - you know what the decree states, and you say the condition has not happened.

    This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a... more
  2. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . From the facts you describe, he may not stop paying alimony. However, I can't answer a question reliably, that refers to your agreement without reading the agreement.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to... more
  3. James R Fridie III


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . He can't stop paying you alimony without a court order modifying the alimony due to a substantial change of circumstances. Based on your representation, cohabitation hasn't occurred so seems unlikely alimony would be modified because your boyfriend has spent an occasional overnight.

    Disclaimer: The information here is general and not intended to be construed as legal advice or form an attorney-... more

Related Topics


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,149 answers this week

2,372 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,149 answers this week

2,372 attorneys answering