Can my Ex make me change my last name?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hollywood, FL

I am going through a divorce now and my ex doesn't want me keeping his last name . I don't want to change it because we have an 18 month old son and would like to have the same name as my child . Can he really make me change my name back to my maiden name ?

1. Gregory Thomas Buckley

Pro

3

1

Answered . He has absolutely no right to tell you what your name will be after the divorce. I would say that the majority of women do not change their names back because they want to have the same last name as their children.

2. Michael Costantino

Pro

3

Answered . Absolutely not!!!!!

3. Donald G. Criscuolo

Pro

2

Answered . No there are no provisions in the law that permit a Husband to require a former wife to stop using his name. In fact it is quite customary for a former wife, when there are children, to retain her marrried name so her last name is the same as the last name of the children. It sounds like he is just trying to intimitate you. You should have have a strong and experienced family lawyer to help you through this process.

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

1

Answered . No he cannot. He is bullying you. Do not listen to him.