Can my ex husband sue me for road home money ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Metairie, LA

During the time my ex husband and I were married we received $ 30 , 000 from road home to elevate home . During our almost 2 year separation I spend the money on repairs to home and supporting my daughter and myself . We are divorced and I am remarried . He wants to sue me . I am making payment arrangements with road home . I am still living in the home we both own and his children are part owners as well . Can he force us out of the house or sue me ?

1. Michael D. Conroy

Pro

Answered . Your situation is typical of many post Katrina divorces. If you have been through a divorce, the you triggered significant legal reimbursement claims that you will need an attorney to explain. He is entitled to half the community but you will need a lawyer to sort this out. If you simply divorced without any pleadings regarding the use of the home, you may be better off than you fear.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . I do not practice in LA, but document how and when an what the money was spent on. Your ex can sue, but if you have to pay it back or not the judge will determine the issue. You should consult a local attorney