Can my ex husband stop paying child support before a judge orders it to be stopped?

Our son is now 18 yrs. old not living with me because he is attending Youth Challenge Academy.

Decatur, GA -

Glen Edward Ashman

Glen Edward Ashman

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - East Point, GA

The answer is in your support papers. The papers may say support stops at 18. It may also say that it lasts page 18 during certain schooling. You left that detail out and it answers your question. So simply look at your papers. The answer will be there.

David A. Canale

David A. Canale

Family Law Attorney - Marietta, GA

It sounds like the answer to your question will be found in your divorce papers. Your first step be to review them and see what they say about your ex-husband's child support obligation. Generally, child support and so when the child reaches 18 or graduates from high school, but it can continue after age 18 of the child is enrolled in high school.

I recommend that you consult with an experienced family law attorney and have that attorney review your divorce papers for the answer to your question. If the divorce papers so provide, it is possible for child support to and on its own, without a judge issuing an order. However, that determination should only be made with legal counsel.

Related Advice