Can my ex husband stop me from moving myself and our 3 kids in with my boyfriend in a different county

Asked almost 6 years ago - Columbus, GA

can my ex husband stop me from moving myself and our 3 kids in with my boyfriend in a different county?

1. Dawn Marie Bates-Buchanan

Pro

Answered . A general answer is yes. You would have to have Court approval, if he will not give you approval willingly, to move. You would have to file a petition requesting to relocate and you would have to show to the Court that the relocation is in the best interest of the children, that they would have a better home, school, etc and that you would have a better job, support etc. You also have to show that the move is not to interfere with the Father's visitation/shared parenting time and make arrangements to bare some of the costs of arranging to allow continuing and meaningful contact between the Father and the children. I would suggest that you need to hire an attorney to get this done and done correctly, because if you just moved without proper approval from your ex-husband or Court he could force you to come back and even file criminal charged for removing the children from the jurisdiction without Court approval (almost like kidnapping). This can be a very difficult issue. However, just an aside, this has more to do with moving out of county, than moving in with your boyfriend.