Can my ex-husband's live-in girlfriend possess a firearm with a Final Restraining Order active and against my ex?

Bordentown, NJ |

I have a FRO against my ex-husband and I became aware that his live-in girlfriend is a Correctional Officer in the Federal Prison and possesses a firearm. I am initially worried because my 9 year old son has seen the gun so it may not be locked up. Secondly, since she possesses a firearm, what would stop my ex-husband by utilizing it [on me]? What can I do to have her stop bringing the gun home? Who do I contact?

He is not allowed to own a gun with a FRO.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

I know he is not allowed but he lives with someone who carrys one ... he ahs access to a gun now.

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

I don't blame you for being concerned. I believe you should go to the police station and inquire about this.

Your husband cannot own a gun but the FRO is not against her. i suggest you speak to your attorney and see if that can be included in the Order.

I agree with Mr. Cheser, that the FRO only applies to your ex husband, and not to the girlfriend, especially if she is a correctional officer that would require her to have her firearm.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.