Skip to main content

Can my ex-husband post a nude photo of me online legally? What recourse do I have?

Auburn, GA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was married for less than 1 year and was divoriced about 1 year ago. Recently I was notified that he posted a nude photo of me that he took while we were married. I want to know if I can sue him. What would I sue him for: violation of privacy, copyright law, defamation, libel? If I am able to sue him can the claim be for monetary damages and could that include court costs and legal fees? On the site where my picture is posted it only shows his first name. Is that proof enough that he is the one that posted the picture? He is the only one who had the picture, so is that proof that he posted the photo and if not wil he still be held liable?

Attorney Answers 1


You could file a lawsuit seeking injunctive relief, which, if granted, could force him to take down the picture. You might also seek an injunction against the company hosting the website. You also may want to contact the website as they may have a policy against the unauthorized posting of pictures.

If you do file a lawsuit, you can seek damages, including fees and costs, but that does guarantee that you will receive an award of damages.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics