CAN MY EX-HUSBAND GET HIS GREEN CARD AND HOW WILL I BE AFFECTED IF I WANT TO GET MARRIED WITH MY BOYFRIEND WHICH HE IS NOT LEGA

Asked over 1 year ago - Waterbury, CT

My concern is: I was married june 2009 we submit papers for immigration the same month but our relationship did not work out and I divorce him in Aug 2010. He threat me that if i don't give him the papers he will call immigration and let them know that I married him for business, by one of his friends i find out that he is getting his green card.Is possible that he can get his green even tough If I did not showed up for the Interview and how he will get it . I know some people obtain green cards stating that they were in abusive marriage . If I get married in he future how this sutiation will affect me, cause I have achild with my present boyfriend and he is not legal we are planing to get marry.
Please help me.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Yes, persons in abusive relationships may apply for green cards without assistance from their spouses. If you marry your boyfriend, and sponsor him for a green card, you will have to prove that both of your marriages are/were bona fide.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Tracie Lynn Klinke

Pro

5

Answered . There really is no way to know how your ex-husband received his green card. It could have been through claiming to be abused, by being the victim of another crime, or various other ways.
    If you marry another foreign national, you will likely have to show an even stronger case to USCIS - that you and the current husband have a lot of joint documents together and truly plan on spending the rest of your lives together.
    If your ex-husband truly called USCIS and said that you two married for immigration purposes, then he could not have received his green card - so it appears unlikely that he went through with his threat.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . I would say only one thing in this situation. You should not be willing to slipp the beans publicaly. You should be having a consultation privately with an immigration attorney in this very complicated situation..

4. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . Are you a US citizen? Did you withdraw the visa you filed for him? Did you notify immigration you are divorced? See a lawyer.