Skip to main content


Waterbury, CT |

My concern is: I was married june 2009 we submit papers for immigration the same month but our relationship did not work out and I divorce him in Aug 2010. He threat me that if i don't give him the papers he will call immigration and let them know that I married him for business, by one of his friends i find out that he is getting his green card.Is possible that he can get his green even tough If I did not showed up for the Interview and how he will get it . I know some people obtain green cards stating that they were in abusive marriage . If I get married in he future how this sutiation will affect me, cause I have achild with my present boyfriend and he is not legal we are planing to get marry.
Please help me.

Attorney Answers 4


There really is no way to know how your ex-husband received his green card. It could have been through claiming to be abused, by being the victim of another crime, or various other ways.
If you marry another foreign national, you will likely have to show an even stronger case to USCIS - that you and the current husband have a lot of joint documents together and truly plan on spending the rest of your lives together.
If your ex-husband truly called USCIS and said that you two married for immigration purposes, then he could not have received his green card - so it appears unlikely that he went through with his threat.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Yes, persons in abusive relationships may apply for green cards without assistance from their spouses. If you marry your boyfriend, and sponsor him for a green card, you will have to prove that both of your marriages are/were bona fide.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

14 lawyers agree


I would say only one thing in this situation. You should not be willing to slipp the beans publicaly. You should be having a consultation privately with an immigration attorney in this very complicated situation..

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Are you a US citizen? Did you withdraw the visa you filed for him? Did you notify immigration you are divorced? See a lawyer.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics