Can my ex-husband dictate who I can or cannot have my children around when they are in my custody?

Asked over 2 years ago - Newnan, GA

Granted that the children are in no harm. Simply because he does not like the person.

1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes and no. It is possible for one parent to request that there be restrictions about who the other parent exposes their children too. However, the restrictions must either be agreed to voluntarily by the parents or ordered by the judge during a custody battle. For the judge to order such a restriction, it must be shown that it is needed to protect the child's best interest. (Thus, a restriction is not likely to be granted just because the father does not like the person.) Finally, such restrictions are usually either reciprocal (e.g. neither parent will expose the child to anyone with a record of using or distributing illegal substances) or specific to a person with a relevant history (e.g. Parent A will not leave child in the unsupervised presence and custody of Person P who has a prior conviction for being a child predator).

If there is not a current custody battle in place, then the short answer to your question is "No". Neither parent has any right to dictate what takes place in the other parent's home or during the other parent's custodial parent (aside from specific provisions within custody orders.)

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

Answered . Unless the paperwork in your divorce gives him a say, he has no say.

3. Wesley Kent Hill

Pro

1

Answered . The quick answer is no. He may attempt to exert control or make threats of legal action but if what you say is true, there is no grounds. He has no legal say.

Good luck!