Can my ex drive the server to serve me divorce papers?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tenino, WA

My ex drove some strange man and hid in the car to serve me divorce papers. I did not sign anything. Is that legal?

1. Bruce Clement

Pro

1

Answered . The divorce pleadings cannot be served by your spouse, but there's no problem with your spouse giving the process server a lift. If you were legally served, your signature is not necessary. You should immediately consult with a good attorney. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce and service of pleadings for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

2. Joseph Mark Miller

1

Answered . This does not appear to be illegal, creepy but not illegal. Now that you have been served, you must respond by securing a local divorce attorney immediately. If you want to make sure your ex stays away, consider a temporary restraining order.