Can my ex boyfriend move out and take all the furniture he bought for me?

Feeding Hills, MA |

I have texts from him saying he is buying it all for me so that I can live comfortable. But now we broke up and he says he's taking everything.

1. No. Gifts are gifts, and they can't be taken back just because the 2 of you broke up. If he sues youb for the value of the furniture, your texts prove that it was a gift and not a loan that you had to repay.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. As a practical matter, it's going to be a lot easier for you if he never takes the furniture in the first place. Depending on your particular situation, it may be appropriate to deny him access to your home.

This answer offers only general information. It does does not account for all the specific circumstances of the questioner. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. It is intended to offer general guidance only.

3. Property given during a romantic relationship are generally considered gifts. I agree with my colleague, if your ex boyfriend has no right to be in your property, then I would keep him out. Your ex can then try to bring an action against you in an attempt to "recover" the property, but his action should fail because the 3 parts of property becoming a gift have been satisfied. Namely, intent (which can be proven by his texts), acceptance, and delivery (based on the fact that the property is in your house, these last 2 are evident as well.

The content of this answer should not be relied upon or used as a subsitute for consultation with professional advisors and it should be clearly understood that no attorney-client privilege has been created. A more complete answer and/or more accurate answer can only be provided in a more thorough examination of the facts in a consultation with my firm.