Skip to main content

Can my ex be charges with assult and battery if he grabbed me by the neck and side while pregnant

Ware, MA |

this happened while we were together and on the beging of july we are going back to court on the 15th to see if the restraining order goes threw for a year.. i ended up misscarryubg the baby and having a dnc done

Attorney Answers 4


Yes, your ex could be charged with or without a restraining order in place. The order makes it more likely.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It certainly sounds like you could press charges for assault and battery against your ex. To do so, either call the local police or the district attorney's office. Alternatively, you could call a local criminal law attorney or legal aid, if cost is a factor.

You should also contact an advocate to help you through the process. You can try the following organizations:

New England Learning Center for Women In Transition, 479 Main Street, PO Box 520, Greenfield MA 01302 413-772-0871, Hotline: 413-772-0806, 888-249-0806, or

Safe Passage, 43 Center St Northampton, MA 01060 (413) 586-1125.

Best of luck!

Gary S. Sinclair is an attorney licensed to practice in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law or a simple reading of the law in your jurisdiction. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to your question. The information provided should NOT be relied upon for making legal decisions. You will be best served by hiring an attorney in your area who specializes in the field of law pertinent to your question.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree



The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


So sorry for your loss. He should be charged. | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Violent crime topics

Recommended articles about Violent crime

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics