Can my ex and I file married jointly after divorce?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Haltom City, TX

Our divorce was not final until September 9, 2010. Since we were married for 8 months out of the year can we still file married jointly.

1. Vincent Hoyin Kan

Answered . Only the last day of the year matters. You can be married or single for the other 364 days of the year, but your filing status is determined on the the last day of the year. The divorce or marriage must be final as of the day. For more information on why filing status matters, see the below link.

Disclaimer: As a tax attorney, I must remind you that the tax laws can and do change over time. Before you rely on information given here, you should contact a tax professional authorized to practice in your jurisdiction to discuss your particular facts and circumstances.

Transmission of information through this website, e-mail, or other Internet communications is not intended to create nor does receipt constitute an attorney-client relationship. Any attorney-client relationship will only be formed through a client intake procedure where you sit down with me so that I can evaluate you, you can evaluate me, and the two of us can come to a written agreement as to representation and the expectations thereof.

Circular 230 Notice: In compliance with US Treasury Regulations, please be advised that any tax advice given herein (or in any attachment) was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . No, marital status is determined on the last day of the year for tax purposes.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

3. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . Marital status is determined on the last day of the tax year. If you are not married on the last day of the year you cannot file as married filing jointly,

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.