Skip to main content

Can my ex and I change the child support agreement without going to court?

Lakeland, FL |

My daughter is moving in with me this year. I get child support taken from my paycheck weekly. Can we create an agreement (signed by both of us & notarized) stating that she will give me half of the weekly support (since I will now be keeping my daughter & she'll be living with me?) If so, what if my ex starts keeping it? How will that agreement we created between us, hold up in court?

What would be the quickest most efficient way to get the modification done? How long would it take? Would we need to get new financial affidavits?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can agree to change the allocation of child support, but you will have to go to court and do it through a modification action, using the child support guidelines set forth in the statute. Although there are forms available, it is a somewhat confusing process, and I would strongly suggest that you hire a lawyer to assist you. If you both agree, it should be a relatively simple matter for a lawyer to resolve, although one lawyer can only represent one of you. If there were any disagreements, or any questions that the two of you had about separate rights and responsibilities, you would each need to consult with separate lawyers, or consult with a collaborative divorce firm. It would cost you a little more up front, but would save you a great deal of aggravation and potential problems down the road.

  2. You should have an attorney prepare a Modification Agreement, and then get the Court to enter an Order incorporating that Agreement. They would also enter an Amended Income Deduction Order at that time. Feel free to contact me for assistance.

    Gwen J. Cryer, Esq.
    1507 Park Center Dr., Suite N
    Orlando, FL 32835
    Tel: (407) 370-9661
    Fax: (407) 370-9480

  3. If the two of you agree, you can enter into a stipulated agreement to modify the support, but this must be filed with the court and an agreed order must be entered by the judge. It also sounds like there is an income deduction order in place because it is being taken from your paycheck, so an amended IDO must be entered by the court as well so it can be sent to your employer. Please feel free to contact my office for assistance.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics