Can my employer take money out of my check for broken dishes?

Duluth, MN |

I work in a restaurant and my boss is telling all of the employees that if we break any dishes the amount will come out of our pay checks. Is he able to do this? He has also had a lot of silverware go missing and he is saying that the closing server will have to search threw the garbage at night to try and find silverware that got thrown away. Can he really do this?
Any advise would be appreciated!
Thanks

Also is the employee peronally responsible if a table walks out without paying?

1. I dont practice in your state, but I highly doubt it.

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.

2. Your employer cannot deduct from your wages breakages, cash shortages, tools or uniforms. So, he can't take the cost of broken dishes out of your paycheck or make you pay for walk-outs. Unfortunately, he probably can make you check the trash for silverware that might have gotten thrown out.