Can my employer secretly record me at work with a hidden microphone?

San Antonio, TX |
Filed under: Civil rights

At my work, there is a webcam on the computer. When I asked what it was for, I was told it was for taking pictures of customers. Now I am informed by a coworker that they are using the microphone on the webcam to listen in on us while we work.

In general, some states have laws requiring employers to notify employees of monitoring. Very few do this. Many states have no such laws. Check the employee handbook to see if there is any notice of monitoring. If so, you likely have no recourse. If not, you may still have no recourse.

A Texas attorney can give more information as to whether Texas adopted any statutes. There are none that I am aware of.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights