Can my employer require me to release the rights to my image in perpetuity?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winter Park, FL

More than a year into my employment, my manager passed around a contract and required everyone in my department to sign it that day. Signing was mandatory, she said, and I asked if I could have time to think about it and review it. She said it was okay as long as I signed and returned it before I left that shift.

The contract was a release of my image to the company, for any purposes and in perpetuity. I am in a right to work state, but even so, it seems extreme to require such an obligation from an employee. Was the company within their rights to pressure me to sign this?

additional info: I am an IT office professional at a privately owned college that participates in heavy advertising/marketing. My dept is in no way related to the marketing department.

1. Archibald Johns Thomas III

1

1

Answered . Although your employer can require you to execute documents related to your employment as a condition of continued employment, you do not necessarily have to agree to sign the document. However, if you refuse to sign, they are within their rights to terminate you. Even if you sign the document, that does not always mean that the terms stated in the document will be enforceable. If you have questions regarding the validity of any contract or agreement, it is a good idea to consult an attorney so he or she can review the document and the circumstances surrounding the execution of the document.