Can my employer refuse my unemployment?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Binghamton, NY

I was let go for leaving a job sight in a foreign country after my work visa had expired. They are now saying i quit in order to refuse my unemployment. I had spoke to my supervisor after returning home and was told, "we don't have anything for you".

Employment / Labor
Immigration
Employee Benefits
Wrongful Termination

1. Stephen V Pipenger

Answered . Given what you have written, the facts of the situation are unclear. Typically, you cannot receive unemployment insurance if you leave a job voluntarily or if your employer terminates you for cause (misbehavior, for instance). Other than that, unemployment insurance is essentially an entitlement. That being said, an employer can fight it if they want to.

From what you have written, it is unclear if you left or they terminated you. More details, including, which country you were in and a timeline of the events (simply which happened, first, second etc. would be helpful).