Can my employer reduce my hourly rate without my approval?

Asked about 5 years ago - Norwalk, CA

I have been with a company for 2 1/2 years. I started out as a teachers aide, but have worked my way up to a site supervisor. I have been a supervisor for 8 months now. When I received my promotion I got a raise to $15.27/hr. Recently my boss told me I was the highest paid supervisor they have, but the company is in a deficit, so they want to to cut my salary. I'm not sure by how much yet, but is this legal? I should probably add that I work for a non-profit. Please let me know soon what my options are.

1. Galen Gentry

Pro

Answered . Based upon the facts set out in your question, I believe that you are employed at will. Most people are. Your employer may reduce your hours and your rate of pay at its discretion.

2. William M. Pao

Answered . In CA, employment is presumed to be at-will, which means that you or your employer may terminate the relationship at any time, with or without cause. As such, your employer may also change the terms of the employment prospectively. Although your employer may reduce your hourly rate, it cannot go below $8/hour which is the current CA minimum wage.