Can my employer make me work past my scheduled shift then later make me cut the time so they don't have to pay overtime

Asked almost 3 years ago - Bradenton, FL

We are threatened with write ups if we get overtime

1. Orion Gray Callison III

Answered . No. Unless you are exempt, you have a potential remedy under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. Here is a link to the Department of Labor website for additional information:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

2. Stuart M. Address

Pro

Answered . No. This is a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Your employer has a duty to pay you for overtime if you are non-exempt under the statute. Also, your employer has a duty to maintain accurate time records. If your employer is changing the time records, you should keep your own separate set of records.

If the employer is violationt the Act, it may be liable for double damages plus attorneys fees. You should likely contact an attorney to write to the employer prior to having to file suit under the FLSA.