Can my employer make it mandatory for me to come in for a training without pay on my day off ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Corona, CA

My employer tends to schedule training when I am schedule off or before my shift starts. She says they are mandatory and that all employees have to attend. She does not pay for the hours the training's are in session. I get paid hourly not salary.

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

2

Answered . If it is required of you by your employer, specifically needed for your job, your employer must pay you for your time. Generally, on the job training is compensable time.

2. Neil Pedersen

1

Answered . Mr. Kirschbaum is correct. Any time you are required to be at work you must be compensated. Your employer can require you to come in on your day off, but you must be paid for that time.

Good luck to you.

3. Shawn Michael Haggerty

Answered . Ecountered this a day ago. A home health worker performed 12 hours of service as an"audition" and was rejected. The employer said this was not a paid day because they wanted to see her skills. Following the previous posts, it must be upfront and in writing. I concur with my esteemed colleagues.