Can my employer make it mandatory for me to come in for a training without pay on my day off ?

Corona, CA |
Filed under: Employee rights

My employer tends to schedule training when I am schedule off or before my shift starts. She says they are mandatory and that all employees have to attend. She does not pay for the hours the training's are in session. I get paid hourly not salary.

1. If it is required of you by your employer, specifically needed for your job, your employer must pay you for your time. Generally, on the job training is compensable time.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

2. Mr. Kirschbaum is correct. Any time you are required to be at work you must be compensated. Your employer can require you to come in on your day off, but you must be paid for that time.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

3. Ecountered this a day ago. A home health worker performed 12 hours of service as an"audition" and was rejected. The employer said this was not a paid day because they wanted to see her skills. Following the previous posts, it must be upfront and in writing. I concur with my esteemed colleagues.