Can my employer force me to go per diem from a full time shift?

Asked over 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I work for a private ambulance company and they decided to close some stations. In the next shift bid there will be 6 less full time positions so i will not have a position to stay full time. Can they force me to go per diem like this..?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

6

Answered . Yes, unless restricted by contract (such as with a union), there are no assurances of continued employment, on any basis. If the only jobs now available are per diem, there is nothing unlawful about that, as long as the selection process is not done on a discriminatory basis.

2. Christine J. Wilson

4

Answered . At-will employment means just that: either you or the employer can choose to terminate the relationship without consequence.

You are at-will unless you have an employment contract either individually or through a union.

Notwithstanding the above, an employer may not take adverse action against you based upon your race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. (there are other protected categories as well). However, if they have simply made a business decision to eliminate full time positions they have the right to do this.

This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is provided for general information only.
  3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

3

Answered . Mr. Kirschbaum is absolutely correct. Employees have very few employment rights, and employers have a lot of leeway in how they choose to run their businesses. Please see my guide to at-will employment in California which should help you understand your rights now and in the future: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/a-short-su....