Can my employer force me to get a flu shot?

Asked about 5 years ago - Binghamton, NY

I am a RN who works in a Operating Room in New York. My employer just announced that all employees must get mandatory flu shots this year after several years of being optional. Ive never gotten one because frankly i dont think there all that effective. What are my legal rights here?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Unless you have an employment contract that says you do not have to take a flu shot or unless you have a union that has collectively bargained that you do not have to take a flu shot you have little recourse. The flu vaccine requirement is a reasonable one related to the job you do and the people with whom you come into contact.

Check with a NY lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.