Can my employer force me to change my status from H1B to EAD without I providing a copy of my EAD card ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I'm working with my employer for the last 7+ years (H1B visa). My current H1B is valid until Sep 30th 2013.
I received my EAD card in Feb 2012 and then it's renewed. Now EAD card is valid until Feb 2015.
Yesterday my employer e.mailed me and said, I'm on EAD now
I would like to continue on H1B visa until Sep 30th 2013.
My employer is asking a copy of my EAD card but I have not given to them. I suspect, they plan to stop paying my salary because my project (at client place) is ending soon.

Is it mandetory for my employer to obtain my EAD card to change my status from H1B to EAD ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . Assuming that your employer is sponsoring you for a green card, I recommend that you maintain your H-1B status until the day that you are granted permanent residence.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . As an employment-based adjustment of status applicant it is in your interest to maintain your H-1B status until the very day you obtain your green card.

If your I-485 adjustment of status has been pending for at least 6 months, you may change employers, as long as in the "same or similar" occupation.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . The I-9 must be updated whenever status or work authorization expires.