Can my employer cut my commission

Asked over 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I work for an auto Insurance company and the company reduced my commision and then told all the agents that it would return to normal in a few months ..that never happened ..there is only a employe hand book that actually says the percentage of my commission but no contract...is this legal????

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . Employers have the right to unilaterally specify the amount of compensation, whether in the form of commission, hourly wages, or salary. The employer has the same rights to modify compensation unless constrained by a contract or union agreement (and consistent with the federally mandated minimum wage). That is true even where there is a handbook, unless the handbook constitutes a contract (which is very rarely the case) especially on compensation issues. The employer can revise and re-issue the handbook at will. Reductions in compensation must be prospective, not retroactive, and that sometimes raises issues for commissioned employees, but that does not seem to be the case in your matter. Your facts suggest that the company has been pressed financially and that it chose to reduce compensation rather than the work-force. That choice is the employer's to make unless there is a contrary collective bargaining agreement with a union.

2. Shawn Regis Jackson

1

Answered . Good analysis by Ms. McCall. So, you will want to look at the prosepective and retroactive aspects of when the "right" to the commission was vested. You may still be owed money under the "old" commission schedule. You will want to prepare a chronology (history) with the relevant dates and facts and then have an attorney review the matter to give you a course of action that you can take without making your employer adversely react...which would not be a good thing.

By Grace...
    Shawn Jackson ESQ. (707) 584-4529
    Business Development Attorney EMAIL: Attorneys@CaliforniaBusinessDevelopment.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentAttorneys.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentCenter.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentPlans.com
    www.CaliforniaBusinessDevelopmentIncubator.com

No communication resulting herein shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement is signed by attorney and client. The information provided neither is legal advice nor is it conveyed in the course of an attorney-client relationship, but is intended merely as a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel such as any attorney in this office in a subsequent email communication (agreement) and the formation of an attorney client relationship.

3. Scott Richard Kaufman

Answered . Both of the prior answers are accurate and informative. My only concern with these answers is they seem to not respond to the promise that commissions would "return to normal in several months." That promise needs to be fleshed out more here as I would guess folks have relied upon it and done so to their detriment. Was the promise in writing and/or any more specific than noted above?

4. Newton Munro Merrick

Answered . Generally, promises made in an employee handbook are enforceable. Howeever, I wold want to know more about the circumstances and the company's reasons for cutting the income.