Can my employer charge me for a copy of each lost paycheck stub if I need it for proof of income?

Asked over 2 years ago - Canby, OR

I need to update my foodstamps and I misplaced my paycheck stubs for the month of december. I asked my boss for a copy and he said i would have to pay him $5 dollars per paycheck stub copy.
if he's not aloud to do this who can I contact?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kevin Elliott Parks

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To be frank, I don't know the answer to this question.

    Your employer must give you an itemized pay stub with your paychecks that include certain information, including pay rate, hours, and deductions. If they did provide you a pay stub but you subsequently lost it and need another, I don't know that they cannot charge you for another copy, and my assumption is that they likely can.

    They cannot refuse to provide you a copy, but my guess is that a small charge is likely within the law. Often with records requests and the like, there are copying fees, processing fees, etc. $5 may sound high for a copy of a single piece of paper, but it doesn't sound unreasonable, either, depending on the time it takes them to get it. (i.e., most employers utilized vendors for their pay stub processing which may delay their ability to retrieve the stub quickly and easily.)

    Either way, the point of contact for inquiring further about this and/or filing a complaint, if necessary, is the Bureau of Labor and Industries.

    If you found this answer helpful, please click the "Mark as good answer" button, below. If you'd like to contact... more
  2. Brian S Wayson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Even if your employer uses a service to process the payroll the employer will receive summary documents showing what an employee was paid each payroll cycle. It should take the employer about 2 minutes to accomplish this task and cost them about 20 cents in copying charges. Yes, I used to work in both HR and the Printing Industry. In my opinion, the $5 charge is excessive, unreasonable and punitive.

    My colleague's suggestion to contact BOLI is sound advice. In addition, tell your DHS caseworker about this problem and ask him or her to order the records from the employer - that should take care of the problem and the DHS caseworker should be willing to assist you with this relatively straightforward task. If the employer gives the DHS caseworker any guff, the agency can subpoena the records as necessary. Yes, I used to work at DHS too.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice,... more
  3. David A Schuck

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Without your signature authorizing it, the employer cannot deduct it from your wages. If it does, then you have a wrongful deduction claim against your employer under ORS 652.610 and ORS 652.615.

    Information is provided to assist the reader in forming questions and allow them to take full advantage of a... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now