Can my employer change my position without notice? I'm currently salaried, but on a new schedule the position showed is hourly

Asked about 2 years ago - New Berlin, WI

I know my company is going through changes and rumor is our management is being reworked. When I went to write a new schedule rather than being coded as management I was coded as store team lead. Currently the store team lead is an hourly position. The position I currently hold is salary. I'm concerned my position has been changed without notice and my pay is going to be cut in half. Please advise

1. Tajara Dommershausen

Pro

Answered . yes, the employer can do this unless you have a contract that says otherwise.

2. Richard F. Rice

Answered . Assuming that you are an employee-at-will and not a union or contract employee, then within reason your employer can change your position and duties and reduce your salary for which you might be elgible to receive some unemployment compensation although you would need to file a claim to know for sure.

If you believe that the actions against you are for an illegal reason(s) such as protected class discrimination, i.e. sex, age-40 or older or race/national origin, then you could file a discriminaiton complaint with the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division (ERD) and call them at 608/266-6860 or look on the State website for the ERD.

You probably should contact an attorney who must have all your information in order to adequately evaluate your situation and inform you about your options.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . Unless there is a collective bargaining agreement (union contract) to the contrary, employers have the right to change the terms of employment including compensation. The changes must be prospective, not retroactive, and the compensation cannot be lower than the applicable statutory minimum wage. There is no minimum prescribed period of advance notice.

4. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

Answered . I am a California attorney and not eligible to give legal advice in your state. The following is information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT PROVIDE SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I refer to your state's laws, that only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that appeared relevant. However, you should not rely on any comment I make regarding your state's law. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state.

As the other attorneys mentioned, it is most likely completely lawful for your employer to change your employment terms prospectively. Doing it in the way your employer did it strikes me as poor management. However, the law allows employers to be poor managers and to make stupid decisions. Please look at my Avvo guide to at-will employment which may help you understand your rights now and in the future: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/an-overvie....

Is there any reason you don't ask your employer if it intended to do this to you?