Can my employer change my job title without my knowledge

Copperas Cove, TX |

Can my employer change my job title without my knowledge?

1. In Texas the answer is absolutely yes. An employer may change an employees job title without knowledge or consent. The only possible constraints on the employers ability in this regard would come from an employment contract between the employee and the employer.

2. Yes, unless your new job title is libelous per se. e.g. "That guy who sucks at whatever he does" would be quite harmful to your reputation.

Just thought I'd throw that random exception out there - just in case.

3. An employee at will can be fired for no cause at all. Without a union or an employment contract you have to recourse.

Discrimination based on gender, age, race, religious beliefs etc.. may give rise to a different answer.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.