Can my employer cancel my health insurance and not everyone elses?

Amarillo, TX |

My employer's new handbook states if I get sick or injured and I am off work longer than my accrued time off ie...vacation and sick leave, my health insurance would be canceled. Is this legal?

I don't know if you are a union shop. If so, contact your union representative for more information. You can also contact the health insurer directly to ask this question. Finally, you can contact Texas Commissioner of Insurance and seek information there. If these sources of information are not helpful, you may want to consult a local lawyer for a legal opinion. Good luck.

It probably is legal, unless there is something specifically disallowing it in a Texas statute. That being said, you would still be protected by COBRA and the business's policy should be continued for a period of time, as long as you pay the premiums.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice in a lawyer/client relationship. Misunderstanding of the answer or use of the answer for any illegal purpose is not the responsibility of the writer. The answer to any question in the Avvo website is constrained by the limited content of the question, an incomplete description of the facts underlying the question or a wrongful motivation for the question.

Recommended articles about Employment