Can my employer cancel my health insurance and not everyone elses?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Amarillo, TX

My employer's new handbook states if I get sick or injured and I am off work longer than my accrued time off ie...vacation and sick leave, my health insurance would be canceled. Is this legal?

1. Jason Todd Studinski

Answered . I don't know if you are a union shop. If so, contact your union representative for more information. You can also contact the health insurer directly to ask this question. Finally, you can contact Texas Commissioner of Insurance and seek information there. If these sources of information are not helpful, you may want to consult a local lawyer for a legal opinion. Good luck.

2. Alan Jay Dion

Answered . It probably is legal, unless there is something specifically disallowing it in a Texas statute. That being said, you would still be protected by COBRA and the business's policy should be continued for a period of time, as long as you pay the premiums.