Can my employer call and verify a docotors note? Is it legal for them to do that? I just need a clear yes or no answer.

Sacramento, CA |

I am a local shop steward and am trying to obtain information specifically to this question as to how far an employer can go to harrass am employee. Doctors note was submitted, a call was made to verify it and then the employee was still docked and not allowed to use sick time.

Yes, an employer can call a doctor to verify that he or she wrote the note. But the employer may not ask for, nor shall a doctor provide any medical information about the employee without the employee's authorization.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

Attorney Kirschbaum is exactly correct.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com