Can my employer call and verify a docotors note? Is it legal for them to do that? I just need a clear yes or no answer.

Asked over 3 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I am a local shop steward and am trying to obtain information specifically to this question as to how far an employer can go to harrass am employee. Doctors note was submitted, a call was made to verify it and then the employee was still docked and not allowed to use sick time.

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

Answered . Yes, an employer can call a doctor to verify that he or she wrote the note. But the employer may not ask for, nor shall a doctor provide any medical information about the employee without the employee's authorization.

2. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

Answered . Attorney Kirschbaum is exactly correct.