Can my employer (University) withhold 75% of my income if I owe them money?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ooltewah, TN

Prior to the summer, I owed them an amount of money but they were not taking 75% of my income until now. There was no notice to let me know it was going to happen, it just happened suddenly. The financial adviser said the only way to change this was to appeal to a committee, but the petitions were hardly ever approved. The 25% I am left with does not cover my living expenses. I cannot obtain another job because I am currently booked to work for the month of May for the school.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Arnold Garson Cohen


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I wonder if the school has a judgment against you. It is leaving you with an amount that probably equates to what would be exempt from garnishment. As to lack of notice and appeal, read the employee handbook on these subjects. Unless there is some employee rule or contract to the contrary, the school probably can do what it is doing. I also wonder what you mean by being "booked to work", and whether you have a contract that would create monetary damages if you left that job for another. Of course, if you are a regular employee for a university, then you probably have benefits which you may want to protect rather than leave the job. Your choices are difficult, and you might be best served by obtaining the services of a lawyer in your area who is experienced in employee rights.

    These comments do not constitute legal advice. They are general comments on the circumstances presented, and may... more

Related Topics

Wage garnishment

Wage garnishment is the process whereby your employer sends part of your paycheck directly to your creditor in order to pay off your debt.

Employee wages and payroll deductions

Payroll deductions are optional deductions from a paycheck for expenses facilitated by the employer, like health insurance, transit passes, or gym memberships.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,996 answers this week

3,375 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,996 answers this week

3,375 attorneys answering