Can my dui keep me from being certified as a physical therapy assistant in virginia beach?

Asked over 3 years ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I got it in NC in 2006 and was convicted in 2007. I got the bare minimum in consequences because I didn't blow a high number if that makes a difference.

1. Fitzgerald Lewis

Answered . YOu may wish to contact DPOR( Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation) to discuss this issue. In most case it should not be an issue.

2. Kevin Michael Duffan

Answered . As a strict matter of law, no, your prior DUI conviction is not a bar to certification. Of course, individual employers can still reserve the right to inquire about any criminal background you may have, and may also seek your permission to run a background check. It will be up to them to decide whether or not they feel that a prior DUI is a reason to deny employment, though I would suspect that a minimum offense DUI conviction from four years ago is probably not going to block all of your chances of employment.

3. James Robert Parrish

Pro

Answered . It is unlikely that such a conviction would prevent certification. However, it is best to check with the professional occupational regulatory authority within your state. Also, please understand that an employer may refuse to hire you based on such a conviction as it could present a number of insurance issues for the employer.