Can My DUI conviction in MD affect my DUI conviction in VA. Will it count as a second DUI?

I got a Dui, Dwi and a Dui per se in Md back in 2010. My punishment was a PBJ "Probation before Judgement". I got probation for a year, Alcohol education and court fines. I just recently got another DUI in Virginia (Sept 2012) with a BAC of .19.

Centreville, VA -

Find Out More

Carleton Penn III

Carleton Penn III

DUI / DWI Attorney - Fairfax, VA

In Maryland, did you return to court to have the earlier DUI dismissed and were you otherwise compliant with the terms and condotions in MD? If you were convicted in MD, yes, it will count as asecond if all other criteria are satisfied. If the earlier charge was dismissed, it should tried as a first DWI. Rest assured the Assistant Commonwealth Attorney will comment on your record if tried and into consideration with any plea agreement. With a .19, if that BAC comes into evidence, you are facing a minimum mandatory jail sentence. You better hire a good DWI Defense Attorney.

Paul McGlone

Paul McGlone

DUI / DWI Attorney - Fairfax, VA

Since you got a pbj in MD there is a good chance they won't see it. Carleton is right that they will consider it if they see it. If you are my client I will have you starting progrAms before court. Www.mcglonelaw.com

Robert Laurens Driessen

Robert Laurens Driessen

DUI / DWI Attorney - Irvine, CA

Yes this could be potential used as a prior. You will need your attorney to look to see if the prior DUI meets all the requirements. Make sure you get an attorney.
Robert Driessen

Matthew Stephen Kensky

Matthew Stephen Kensky

DUI / DWI Attorney - Fairfax, VA

I agree with Paul McGlone- he is a brillant lawyer. Shouldn't you already have a lawyer for this Sept. 2012 DWI case, who should be able to easily answer this question?

Darren Douglas Meyer

Darren Douglas Meyer

DUI / DWI Attorney - Fredericksburg, VA

It depends on whether your Maryland DUI was a conviction. If it was ultimately dismissed it will not be used as a prior conviction for enhancement purposes. If you were ultimately convicted I believe the Maryland conviction could be used for enhancement purposes. There are many other issues that can be relevant when determining whether an out of state conviction can be used against you.

It is imperative you contact a dui lawyer that is familar with these issues. If you would like a consult feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Darren Meyer
www.darrenmeyerlaw.com
(540) 840-8470 - cell