Can my driving privileges be reinstated in FULL if I install an IID?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Huntington Beach, CA

1st DUI, I am required by DMV to install it for 5 months, when I do will I be able to drive anywhere?

1. Matthew Ian Terry

Pro

1

Answered . Not according to ยง13352 of the Vehicle Code. More information is needed (1st / 2nd / 3rd offense? Misdemeanor or felony?)

On 2nd offense convictions (not to be confused with an administrative finding from a DMV hearing), we have seen letters from the DMV seemingly presenting the driver with a choice:

After 90 days of hard suspension, they may either
    (i) obtain an IID for the remainder of 2 years and drive without restriction, OR
    (ii) obtain a restricted license for the remainder of 2 years but without an IID.

There are other minor requirements, such as an SR-22, but this appears to be a policy decision rather than a mandate from the Vehicle Code.

Best advice: contact Mandatory Actions in Sacramento (DMV) and they can answer your question as to your personal options, according to the relicensing requirements on your driving record. The # is 916-657-6525.

2. Philip Daniel Hache

Pro

Answered . Is this a first offense DUI that you received in Los Angeles County, which is why the DMV is requiring the mandatory IID for 5 months? If so, then the DMV is issuing a full driving privilege for the 5 months that you have the IID device installed. They should notify you of that by letter. If you don't receive that letter, inquire with them about it. Keep in mind that the driving privilege is limited to driving a car that is properly equipped with the IID device.

3. Richard Lewis Grant

Answered . With a 1st DUI, you most probably will have the device installed at the time you have a restricted license for 5 months. Normally, you will have only the right to drive to and from work, to and from alcohol treatment classes, and to and from school or college classes.
    if you had the device installed after your license was reinstated, subsequent to the expiration of your license suspension of four months, then you would have full driving privileges so long as the device is installed for the 5 month period.

If i may be of further assistance, please contact myself.

Best of luck to you.

Richard Grant
    Orange County Criminal, DUI, and Traffic Attorney