Can my dog be evicted from the property we rent?

Lakewood, CO |

My dog was accused of biting someone, there are no written reports or marks of any kind. The incident happened months ago and was only mentioned to the leasing office yesterday. My dog is a year and a half old and is easily trainable. We are willing to comply to any suggestions. We asked if we could get him involved in obedience training and show a certificate. They're still evicting my dog in 10 days. Please HELP!

This all depends on the terms of your lease. You should contest it if the accusations are baseless. It seems you will have to contest it through your HOA. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to consult local counsel. Good luck!

This answer is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney licensed in your state, that practices in the relevant area of law, to schedule an in-person consultation.

Usually only people can be evicted, not dogs. I suggest you review your lease agreement and see whether or not there is any prohibition on pets. If there is no such prohibition, I do not think the landlord has much of any leg to stand on.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I would make preparations to move.

This email (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This email (including attachments) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system

Probably best to get a new place

The lease agreement will likely have clauses regarding tenants having pets, which would be the ideal place to begin researching. If the lease is confusing or hard to understand in any way then I suggest contacting an attorney in your area.

Recommended articles about Real estate